11 April 2009

Me, a Vegetarian?

Not even close. However, sometimes I feel the need to eat my green brethren. When I do, it usually takes the shape of butternut squash, spinach salads, and fresh corn on the cob.

A few days ago, I managed to snag myself about a pound of fresh asparagus, and a few pounds of sugar-snap peas. The snaps are a Costco staple, and allow me to munch non-guiltily between meals. Tonight, however, they came together in spectacular fashion.

The recipe? One pound of asparagus, base ends trimmed (to be composted), the remainder snapped in two; and about 8 ounces of sugar-snaps. Place about 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine into a large sauté (or deep frying) pan and melt. Add the asparagus to the pan for about three minutes, tossing occasionally.

Now, add granulated or chopped garlic (to taste; I believe you can never put too much garlic into any dish), and at least a decent sprinkling of non-granulated sea salt. Last ingredient to go in are the snaps. Toss and sauté for the next 5-6 minutes. If you are like me, you want the asparagus to be slightly-crisp. Cooking longer turns asparagus to mush, but that's just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Serve hot.

Pretty inexpensive, reasonably healthy, definitely fast food, very tasty. Feel free to drool here. I would...

No comments: