04 July 2009

2006: Heaven

04 July

Hmmm. I was exiting the local (well, relatively, anyway) Internet shoppe when I noticed what was being used to keep the front door open: an old, 3.5" floppy disk, in a former life one of the trillions of disks you needed to install many Microsoft products not too many years ago...

Much later, I'm working on the most recent round of photos, and I'm very pleased with the results when in walks Madame Bernadette, the 82-year-old matron of the housing complex. She has come in to ask what I've been doing the last few days, and as she readies to leave, she asks if I like courgettes (zucchini). As a matter of fact, I love them. A few minutes after I think she's left for the day, she appears again at my front doorstep, this time with a HUGE courgette for my dinner. If I understood her correctly, it came from her daughter's garden, though I could be making that part up. (grin)

Not one hour later, the woman who checks up on the apartment next door appears at the back door. Yesterday, she helped make sure my gas (propane) supply was working properly, as I'd just run out from one bottle and was in the process of getting the second bottle online. Today, she's dropped in to see if everything is OK and, when she's informed her help was invaluable yesterday, she hands me six freshly-homemade crepes. For dinner.

If I didn't know better, I'd say I have been adopted by the locals. I really have found a little slice of heaven here.

No comments: