21 July 2009

Jimmy Carter's Opinion

I've always thought James Earl Carter, once US President, was one of our most honest and thoughtful presidents, that he was as easily elected into a world he had little control over as he was ousted from it.

Today, there is an opinion piece from an Australian publication by Mr Carter that, in my eyes, elevates my personal opinion of him above and beyond what I'd believed before.
"I understand, however, why many political leaders can be reluctant about stepping into this minefield. Religion, and tradition, are powerful and sensitive areas to challenge. But my fellow Elders and I, who come from many faiths and backgrounds, no longer need to worry about winning votes or avoiding controversy - and we are deeply committed to challenging injustice wherever we see it."
One can hope the tide is turning, both for Mr Carter's reputation and the object of his opinion.

No comments: